Brayside Preschool Education Programs
Consultation and working with families
We believe that consultation with children in relationship with their learning is important because:
- It creates a closer match between the child and the curriculum it is experiencing
- It builds self-esteem and positive attitudes when the learner is involved in the decision making
- It increases intrinsic motivation that stays with a child throughout life
- Children have a right to be treated with respect
- As individuals, we can show respect by valuing their thoughts and opinions (Claire Warden 2006)
Working with Families
Working in partnership with families, educators use the learning outcomes to guide their planning for children’s learning.
In order to engage children actively in learning, educators identify children’s strengths and interests, choose appropriate teaching strategies and design the learning environment.
At Brayside we encourage parents to participate in partnership with our educational team through the contribution of information about their child as recorded in the enrollment form where family background, culture and values are identified so that they may be respected and affirmed in the preschool community.
Parents are encouraged to provide daily feedback through direct conversations with educators, in the space provide in each daily journal / diary and by email.
The Role of the Educator
Here at Brayside Commmunity Preschool we believe that children will tell you what they think if they:
- Feel valued
- Are given time
- Know that you will accept their thinking without judgement
- Can communicate in the best way for them
- Can tell you when they feel the time is right
- Know that you are really interested
- See you looking at them
- Know that you are listening to them
- See their ideas/suggestions actually being used know something about the subject you are questioning them about
Find out More
To find out more about Brayside Community Preschool contact us on (02) 6652 8846 or via email on email@example.com.